Thursday, August 4, 2011

Power from the People

In a quest to find potential for on site energy generation I have begun looking for sources of energy that could be harnessed. These are a few ideas that I will be looking into;

Kinetic energy - using the movement of people through architecture to generate electricity. Although I have only just begun this research the main problem here seems to be that only low levels of electricity can be generated. I will have to think about this more.

Geothermal heat pump
A geothermal heat pump uses the earth as a heat source (in the winter) or a heat sink (in the summer). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has called ground source heat pumps the most energy-efficient, environmentally clean, and cost-effective space conditioning systems available.

My main concern is that geothermal heat pumps are actually not new nor are they rare - I think for my project I should examine something a bit more cutting edge.

Solar Updraft Tower
A solar updraft tower combines three old and proven technologies: the chimney effect, the greenhouse effect and the wind turbine. Air is heated by sunshine and contained in a very large greenhouse-like structure around the base of a tall chimney, and the resulting convection causes air to rise up the updraft tower. This airflow drives turbines, which produce electricity. The idea of this technology was first conceptualised in 1903 and was first prototyped in 1982.

To put a new edge on this idea I could combine the idea of a solar updraft tower, a solar chimney and a Savonius wind turbine to create an idea based more in the idealogy of ecosystems. By combining these ideas I would be able to cool a building whilst at the same time generating electricity - the idea is that one activity or action feeds another.

Biogas
Biogas is the end product of anaerobic digestion. Anaerobic digestion is a series of processes in which microorganisms break down biodegradable material in the absence of oxygen, used for industrial or domestic purposes to manage waste and/or to release energy. I think there could be potential for this technology if I can determine the feasibility of an on site anaerobic digestion system. Again this concepy is in harmony with the idea of ecosystems, where the waste products generated by the building feed its energy generation.

I have heard reports of Biogas meeting all the heating demands of a building in Melbourne. The various materials that could feed an anaerobic digestion system include biomass, manure, sewage, municipal waste, green waste, plant material and crops.