Saturday, August 27, 2011

Crysis: Import experementation

So to test my model and the context model I did a test tonight of importing one of the towers. To keep the poly count down I stripped the building of its staircase, lift shaft and the double facade leaving just the exo-structure, the 'backbone' and the floors. Even just this totaled around 12'000 polygons and had to be broken into 10 pieces to import into the sandbox editor.

I also ran into a few other issues when exporting from revit to sketchup but I was able to tidy these things up in sketchup.

Overall a fairly clean model once inside sandbox. I will need to allocate plenty of time to import the final design of the ten towers into sandbox editor. Additionally I have to model the second facade which is currently tubes as it comprises of simply far to many polygons than I would ever be able to import into Crysis.

Even at this (relatively) early stage working inside sandbox gives a really different feel for the spaces than when working in Revit. I have to find a balance of using the sandbox editor as a design tool and managing my time well so that I dont waste too many hours importing into Crysis over and over again because it really is a time consuming task.