Monday, July 11, 2011

Research topics

In my research during the break I have come across three key areas of research I would like to investigate further. These areas are;
1. BIOMORPHISM
Biomorphis draws on non-geometrical naturally occurring forms, as in certain aspects of Organic architecture. More specifically nonrepresentational forms or patterns that resemble a living organism in shape or appearance.
[source: american heritage dictionary & oxford dictionary of architecture and landscaping]
2. BIOMIMICRY
Biomimicry or biomimetics is the examination of nature, its models, systems, processes, and elements to emulate or take inspiration from in order to solve human problems.
[source: wikipedia]
3. BIOPHILIC DESIGN
Biophilic design is the deliberate attempt to translate an understanding of the inherent human affinity to affiliate with natural systems and processes.
[source: dimensions, elements and attributes of biophilic design]

I have found several sources in the library, online and on TED talks. I feel that that could potentially be key drivers behind the underlying desired outcomes of my design studios.